Thursday 4 June 2009

The joys of multilingual TV

One of the advantages of living here is the availability of foreign television stations: I currently have French French, Belgian French, Dutch, Flemish, German, Spanish, Portuguese, Arabic, Turkish and English channels. It's great having BBC1 and 2, of course, and, at least in theory, watching the other channels is a great way of getting better at those languages.

Unfortunately, as anyone who has spent time over here can tell you, European TV is rubbish. In practice, I mostly watch the BBC, plus imported US and UK programmes - not only can I still get my NCIS and CSI fix, but now I have a choice of English with Dutch subtitles or French dubbing (obviously, the former is more satisfactory, but the latter has a certain entertainment value all of its own).

Can anyone recommend anything French, Dutch, Belgian or German that might actually be worth watching? I, and my language skills, would be most grateful for suggestions.

2 comments:

  1. Joanne Reynolds5 June 2009 at 08:03

    I'm not sure it's worth watching (in fact I'm sure it's not), but I got quite addicted to Gute Zeiten, Schlechte Zeiten while I was in Luxembourg. And the German version of Blind Date is always good for a chuckle.
    Hope you are enjoying Brussels!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh good point - German soaps! I don't think I've got RTL, which GZSZ is on, but there's still Lindenstraße, Verbotene Liebe, Marienhof... Is Tatort still going?

    I'm getting all nostalgic now :)

    ReplyDelete