Saturday 11 July 2009

RTD, I'd like a word with you.

On Wednesday, I was all set to write a post about how impressed I was with the new mini-series of Torchwood. Unlike the previous two series, which I absolutely adored but were actually pretty rubbish, series 3 was shaping up to be proper good telly. Sure, there were still plotholes that Ianto could drive a JCB through, but it was really exciting, and we got to see Jack's daughter and Ianto's family (who are chavs, and fantastic), and Paul Copley off Hornblower was brilliant, and Peter Capaldi was Not Malcolm Tucker, and Gwen was significantly less annoying than usual, and the children were really creepy, and Ianto kicked arse, and John Barrowman was naked, and, and, and...

And then I watched Day 4.

It all seemed to be going so well: the cabinet meeting where they were talking about how to choose the children was incredibly chilling in its plausibility, and I was really starting to like Lois as a potential new team member. But then it all went horribly, horribly wrong.

How could they kill Ianto?! He was the best thing about this whole stupid-yet-fantastic show. I was desperately hoping for some sort of reset button in the final part - and normally Russell T Davies' penchant for 'ha ha, fooled you all' plots just makes me roll my eyes - but it would appear that he actually is really dead for real. The one consolation is that it was a great death scene - almost as good as Tosh's - and Gareth David-Lloyd totally did it justice.

And, much as it pains me to say it, it's a good thing they didn't resurrect him. The final episode was just... I have no words for how amazing it was, even though it pretty much broke me. And if, after all that - after Frobisher, and his family, and Stephen - it had turned out that Ianto wasn't dead after all, it would have cheapened it. Not that it's necessarily stopped them in the past, mind you.

So, what's next? From what I've heard, they were going to decide whether to make a fourth series depending on the ratings for the third - and they were very, very good at around 5.9 million. But it all felt very final - the hub's gone, most of the team are dead, Jack's run away to the other side of the galaxy - so I don't see where they can go from here.

The tl;dr version? I loved it beyond all reason, but I probably won't be watching the next series if there is one.

No comments:

Post a Comment